Since I've been making these chanes in my life I've found myself a Colossus astride two vastly different worlds. At no time has this been more apparent than it was yesterday... in one day I experienced both worlds, and I'd like to share those.
Yesterday morning I woke up and did my morning routine, got dressed in a business suit, dress socks, dress shoes, tie, tie clip, hair well coiffed, etc... I rode off to work and logged myself onto the computer. Throughout the day I sat in a cube and worked on a powerpoint presentation, poring over data and assimilating it into a format which I hope will be sufficient. Meetings happened and people pontificated over their own importance. Thinly veiled hositlities were exchanged in a politcally correct atmosphere via e-mail. Smiles and pleasntries were exchanged in passing, after which all of our cliques convened in empty rooms and whispered in secret. A project I've been working on for over a year continued to languish in somene else's que. Lackies scrambled like lap dogs and cronies waited patiently for crumbs of praise to fall from the master's table. Finances, meetings, and training were discussed, spreadsheets updated... without all of which who would be important? The sacred system, yet again, managed to perpetuate itself. I am guilty of all of this, and hold myself above no one.
Lost in this ocean I was thrown a line. A request to help someone else as much as it rescued me.
I received a call at my cube saying a friend was having trouble and needed my help getting 100 bales of hay into the barn. All day I sat in excitement waiting to travel to that "other" world.
The proverbial bell rang and I dashed home to cast aside my favorite Italian cut suit and Donald Trump collection tie. These were quickly traded for an old pair of jeans, a t-shirt, flannel, workboots, and work gloves. I had my passport for another world 20 minutes away. I have never bucked hay before, and looked forward to the challenge.
I was greeted with warm smiles, a cool drink of well water, good conversation and a view of the mountains. Another friend from work joined us and we were off to buck hay (Bucking hay is getting hay bales onto a wagon and stacking it in the barn). We did 100 bales (yet another skill learned for me!). My daughter sat on the sidelines the whole time, my personal cheering section. The sweat that poured out of me cleansed body, mind, and spirit. Every bale stacked was a step away from an excel spreadsheet. If you have never bucked hay before I swear to you this one thing: you will never find a better workout. It works the whole body. Plucking bales out of the field, hauling them to the wagon, stacking, chucking them up into the barn, re-stacking. Balancing on an undulating 8 foot mountain of barely bound grass while hauling bales up to the window is like the ultimate stairmaster.
Funny thing about barns and farms, they're all about families and animals. As I bucked hay I got to watch my daughter take her first horse ride. Nervous at first, gradually wanting to go faster and faster. Then onto feeding goats, and I watched my boys play around the corral and in the hay, all the while working with good friends.
When that was over we were treated (as thanks) to a most delicious dinner. We watched the sun go down and talked about the 'other' world. = ) .
Coming away from working at my own place an hour and a half away I've trudged into town (town being a strip about a quarter mile long) I've been dirty, grimy, unshaved, hair matted to my head... even still, on my way to get something to eat, three groups of people stopped me to say "Hello"! People I've never met. Funny how I never expect that where I wear a suit. There people walk by and barely notice each other whereas in 'town' I look like a homeless person and stangers greet me as if I belong. These 2 worlds even have vastly different cultures. I was a stranger in a strange land and it felt foreign to me to answer those greetings from strangers those first few times.
Let me ask you this dear readers... which one of me would you be more apt to say hello to on the street? The suit or the vagrant? The funny thing is if you had met me in one of my previous professional incarnations I can guarantee you would not want to talk to me at all!
The law of the land of the people who I want to belong to is to work hard and help each other. Maybe that's what those guys in town saw as I walked to get a beer. Someone who worked hard. I know in my heart of hearts that I have to work harder, and help others more, and make my life a testimoy to others for God. It is something I am striving to take accountability for.
God bless!
No comments:
Post a Comment